This weekend marks the 2nd installment to the 2012 Ultra4 racing schedule, an event known as Cinco de Baja. As with any competition, it’s always good to have your notes in order so as to make the best of what will be an insanely busy and competitive weekend. Here’s 5 things you should really know ahead a time. Consider it your Cinco de Baja cheat sheet.
1) For those wanting to attend, or are just curious where this event is taking place, race location is approximately 12 miles outside of Rio Rancho, NM. Ultra4 has provided this link to the exact location of the race course.
2) The Cinco de Baja race takes place this Saturday, May 5th, which should now make obvious where the name comes from. Green flag will drop around 1pm MST with the course closing at 9pm MST. If you’re able to make it a day early, there will also be tech inspection and vendor row Friday May 4th at 3pm MST, outside of Gardunos Restaurant (2100 Louisiana Blvd. NE.). If you’re unable to make the event in person, don’t worry. We’ll be part of the live coverage team once again, pushing out text and photo updates throughout the day (cell service permitting of course). Live coverage will be made available on race day at http://ultra4racing.com/live/ .
3) The race course will consist of five 40 mile laps primarily featuring fast desert racing. Each lap will feature a 10 mile rock race detour, which should add that nice Ultra4 touch.
4) While this is the 2nd Ultra4 event of the year, it is the 1st event in the Trail-Gear Western Regional Series. For a complete breakdown of all three 2012 Ultra4 series’, follow this link.
5) With 45 drivers already signed up, and a $10,000 purse, Cinco de Baja promises to bring all the fierce competition we’ve all come to expect from Ultra4. The most up to date drivers list can be found here.
There you have it, enough details to get you ready for Saturday’s big race. Hope to see you out there, but for those that can’t make it we’ll see you online.